Pet Portrait Photographer Position
with leadership qualities, excellent technical and aesthetic skills
and a passion for working with
and their owners
1 – 2 days per week
Hi and thanks for your interest in the Pet Portrait Photographer position with artist photographer!
Now .. before we go any further, I have to tell you that this is a position for an experienced photographer that LOVES animals. That means someone that has worked in a paid position as a photographer (in your own business or for someone else). We need someone with exceptional skills to support our other photographers, so please – only apply if you can achieve pet portrait photography of the highest standard.
If you have run or are running your own business and tired of working 80 hour weeks, retouching and editing images til 2am, chasing clients for their orders and payments and feeling isolated, then this could be perfect for you. Another possibility is that you may have worked for another studio where your creativity and passion were not fully embraced. We would like to chat with you also…
Okay, right now I’m going to tell you a little bit about the position and what you’ll be doing, and then if you’re interested in working with us, I’ll get you to contact us (details at the end) and also submit your BEST 6 PET images.
Firstly about our business…
artist photographer was established in 1982 and is an industry leader in child and family portraits with beautiful century-old studios in both Richmond and Geelong. These studios are spacious and truly beautiful with gorgeous natural light and high ceilings. We are seeing a large increase in the number of clients that want to have their fur babies photographed. This year, we are not only celebrating our 36th year in business, but also the appointment of our founder, Mark Strachan as a Leica Ambassador. So you’ll have a great mentor to assist your professional and creative growth!
Currently we have 2 Photographers and 8 support staff across the 2 studios. We’re still growing and we’re looking for you to help us with giving our clients a memorable portrait experience for their pets (with or without their families) in our Richmond and/or Geelong studios so we can continue to prosper. We are an energetic team that loves doing what we do – and we want it to show in the end results!
We’ve have had a great year so far and we’re on track for a lot more growth. So .. we’re looking for someone special and with a proven folio of PET PHOTOGRAPHY work to come in and join us in the fun work of growing our studios.
If you can create portraits like the ones on this page, we are interested in talking with you.
Next, your position…
You’ll be working at either or both of our beautiful studios in Richmond and Geelong. You will be a reliable, happy, well presented and ‘switched on’ person who loves working with people and making beautiful images. You also must be able to work on your own, and within a team environment. You’ll be responsible for the most significant contact our clients have with our business, so it’s an important role, and one that we take seriously. You’ll have a strong portfolio of pet photography work, including couples, families and children, we really need someone that has worked in this area previously, as we are not in a position to start someone ‘from the ground up’.
You will be skilled in relaxing and engaging fur babies, you know your gear so well that you can pretty much operate your camera with your eyes closed! Pet portrait appointments are mostly at our studios and take between 30 and 45 minutes to complete.
This is a flexible position. Even so, others in this role have found it allows them to earn “full time” money whilst working only 2 to 3 days a week. As a perfectionist, you will also be eligible for bonuses based on how well your photography sells. We have experts that assist clients to choose their portraits, so you won’t be involved in sales unless you really have a gift in this area. We don’t believe in putting square pegs into round holes!
You will have an allocated on-site car parking space supplied at BOTH studios as well as state of the art equipment (we use Leica cameras and lenses) and lighting so that you can concentrate on producing beautiful work! Your pay and commission % will be negotiable, based on your skill and level of work.
Plus, you’ll have the benefit of being mentored and trained by Mark Strachan, an industry veteran of more than 36 years who is also a Leica Amabassador and Akademie Instructor.
This is a role that requires you to interact with our clients and their beloved pets on a daily basis – so you’ll be a ‘warm’ person and need to be great at quickly creating relationships with pets and their owners.
And you’ll also need the skills to do a great job…
The skills you’ll need to have are:
- Leadership – we are after someone that sets themselves high standards and achieves them. This allows them to set an example to the rest of the team.
- Proficient and expert understanding of studio lighting and available light portrait photography.
- Patient, kind and understanding – not all pets (or their owners) are comfortable in front of the camera and some can be challenging when trying to capture their true character and spirit.
- Good to Excellent Computer Skills in Mac and/or PC
- Ability to use Leica and/or Canon and/or Nikon Digital SLR cameras and lenses. If you have any SLR camera experience, other than Leica, Canon or Nikon, we expect that with some time and training – you’ll ‘find your feet’ quickly.
- Confident and safe handling of image files
- Able to follow Clearly Written Procedures, but also creatively work ‘outside the box’ when it comes to the actual photography.
- It’s also essential that you have excellent problem solving skills and can prioritize working processes.
- You’ll also have great energy – the ability to put our clients at ease and get the best from their time with us is paramount!
Plus your ‘personal’ qualities are very important to us. Here’s a quick list…
- You are a positive person that loves working with animals and their owners. You love people, and you’re warm and friendly with clients and fellow team members.
- You are passionate about working, love being busy and you love ‘going the extra mile’ with everything you do.
- You take pride in your work.
- You are accurate and systematic.
- You are an ‘on-time’ person.
- You present yourself professionally at all times.
- You are honest and can work without close supervision and you have initiative.
- You are a great ‘team’ player. At the end of the day the people who you work with reflects upon how you feel. So we’re committed to recruiting ‘excellent’ quality people because if everyone who works at our studios are good positive people, we’re more likely to have a great day.
Are you ready for the next step…?
If this sounds like the position for you, the next step is to send me an email, along with the things I ask for below which will let me know you’re interested BEFORE Friday, 30th November.
We will give you a call if you make it through to the final step of the process which will be a one-on-one interview with me. So please make yourself available if I invite you to a one-on-one interview. But you’ll need to hurry and email me with your 6 best pet portrait images as we normally receive dozens of applications and we will start interviewing right away.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
OK, here’s how to apply …
Send me an email to email@example.com and include:
1. Your Name
2. Your 6 BEST Pet Portrait Images in JPG format (less than 500 kb preferred) and tell us …
3. What do you love most about photographing fur babies?
4. If you succeed in this first phase, when would you be able to meet with us for a chat?
and don’t forget …
5. Your Best Contact Number and Time to call you.
We will only contact you if you have passed this first step and we love your work. 🙂
Tip … we would like to see how you adapt and ideally we want to see variety in your work – not 6 portraits of the same pet.